NJHS Helps Students FLY with Financial Literacy

Olamide Daodu and Isaac Moran with their slideshow to teach seventh graders budgeting basics.

Eighth grade NJHS students are working the remainder of this school year through the Finance and Leadership for Youth (FLY) program teach-back to instruct 7th grade students about saving, budgeting and bank accounts. They are qualified to do this because of their own participation in FLY during weeks of extra classes and activities after school that were presented through a grant. 

“ The FLY program,” said NJHS member Majorie Juarez, “is a financial literacy for youth where our teacher Mrs.Sadie teaches us about financial literacy and what we can do to keep our money in the bank. I really enjoyed it.”  

FLY is a program that teaches NJHS students about financial literacy for youth during 12 after school with their teacher Mrs.Sadie; these met Tuesday and Thursday through the fall. Each session covered everything from finances, banking, saving, and different leadership skills. Students had a chance to practice the skills they were learning, earning real money for their participation that could immediately be deposited in a savings account, a prerequisite for participation. Before members were allowed to present to others, they first had to present to other participants in the FLY program, gathering critiques and improving their teaching and public speaking.

“This program taught so much more than financial literacy,” said NJHS member Kenikki Thompson. “We learned about what kind of leadership style we had and got to practice our public speaking… I feel like this program is a giant benefit to anyone who goes through it.” 

After being cleared by other NJHS members, FLY presenters took time to teach basic money management ideas to seventh graders in Mr. Rossi and Mr. Weppler’s classes. Presenters and teachers both report the seventh graders were engaged in these  lessons that included various movies,  a slideshow, flashcards and games. All the students involved in the FLY can all say that they benefited from it now knowing more about how to spend their money, budgeting and more. 

“ It’s such a critical component,” said NJHS adviser Ms. Kiett. “They [seventh graders] learn so much more from their peers, so to hear there classmates telling on them the importance of saving and why math is important- that was the biggest thing. They always say ‘when am I ever going to use this?’ so to hear their own peers tell them the importance of saving and how adding and how learning how to do formulas is important for their future, it was awesome.”