Lunar New Year Highlighted at Multicultural Club

Learning about Lunar New Year, Ms.Murphy and Multicultural Club completed many different activities during their February 27, 2020, meeting. The goal of the club is to help the students learn about the other cultures around the world and the holidays they celebrate. 

“We pick a topic every month,” Ms.Murphy stated, “Our topic right now is Lunar New Year”. 

To help students understand the Lunar New Year during their meeting in February, they did many different things such as  watching  videos highlighting traditional dances, folktales, and traditions. They also ate food and had refreshments, a pattern Ms. Murphy follows for most meetings of Multicultural Club. For example, they did crafts like sugar skulls for Dia de los Muertos and explored Christmas traditions around the world in December. Students join the club to prepare them to be more knowledgeable world travelers later in life. b

“I hope to learn about the different things and cultures around the world,” stated seventh grader Jordan Addison.

Lucky for them, the multicultural club was created to hopefully make students want to travel around the world. It was also created to help them learn the different dances and folktales that cultures have, hopefully influencing students to get deeper into the cultures and learn their  languages. This can help build students’ understanding and appreciation for many cultures other than their own.

“ This month we’re gonna be talking about the Lunar New Year,” stated by Ms.Murphy. “By doing this, I hope students become more interested to continue learning about the holiday independently or visiting one of the many events that occur in our surrounding area.”

Lunar New Year, also known as Chinese New year, is  the Chinese festival that celebrates the beginning of a new year on the traditional Chinese calendar; it  was celebrated on Saturday, January 25 of this year. It is celebrated by the people of Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean descent. They give their children red envelopes with money in them and honor ancestors during the festivities. They even celebrate it in Philadelphia with parades and other festivities. Surprisingly, Lunar New Year is  celebrated in different lengths. For example in China, the Spring Festival lasts up to 15 days and Vietnam’s goes on for a week. Lunar New Year in South Korea runs for three days. 

Students who may want to sign up should see Ms.Murphy in room B102 or listen to the morning announcements for when sign-ups are active. This club often reaches capacity, so it is important to sign up early.