Dr. King’s Quotes Inspire Winslow Students

On January 18th Americans celebrate a federal holiday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This holiday has also been referred to as Martin Luther King Day of Service. To celebrate and honor the holiday, the newspaper club at Winslow Township Middle School decided to interview the school’s community regarding three famous quotes said by Dr. King. Students were asked to explain what the quote means and it’s importance. Additionally, they were asked how the quote relates to the world around them and to explain one small act they can do that relates to that quote.  

“The time is always ripe to do right” 

According to huffpost.com, Dr. King Jr. said this famous quote in Seattle, Washington on April 16th, 1963. Dr. King was urging his listeners to advocate for racial equality and economic justice through peaceful protests. Jordyn Storck, an 8th grade student, was asked what this quote meant to her and she shared that “it doesn’t matter what time it is you can still do the right thing even if it’s not the right time.” 

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?”

According to ferris.edu, this quote is commonly believed to be spoken by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. despite having no trace to his public speeches or published books. Regardless, the quote holds a lot of meaning for those who come across it in the context of his legacy and how it inspires them today. Carlie Farren and Camryn Aikens, 8th grade students at Winslow Middle School, were asked how this quote applies to their lives and people around them. They shared that, “To us, this quote means that there is always something that you can be doing for people around you. As members of the National Junior Honor Society and Student Government Association our goal is to help those in our community through acts of kindness.” Carlie and Camryn have prepared and donated food to Unforgotten Haven, a non-profit organization whose mission is to help the less fortunate.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

King’s book called Strength to Love was published in 1963 and holds this very famous quote. There is no doubt that the quote is popular even today as it circulates the internet in honor of King’s influence. Jada Johnson, an 8th grade student, said “I think this quote means that in reality sometimes we try to fight with violence, verbal abuse, and bigotry, but the only thing that can truly stop hatred, is love and kindness. Love is a powerful light that shines in the midst of darkness, and it always seems to pierce through the toughest of circumstances.” 

Jamal Mason, an 8th grade student in Ms. Morgen’s English class also agreed saying, “To me that means that people that hate can only be driven out by love.” The importance of this quote in our society today was explained by Debi Murphy. She said that this quote applies to her life and those around her because “I am going to stand up for what I want to see in the world and not stand there when others are being verbally abused. I am going to stand up for those in need.”

Overall, these quotes resonate with people across the country and will continue to do so as long as social justice remains a prominent issue in our world. Dr. King experienced a lot of callousness and cold-hearted behavior during the Civil Rights Movement. Malevolent people threatened him and his family on multiple occasions with causing much pain and suffering. Martin Luther King Jr. himself had to persevere through the cruelest forms of racism and prejudice. Even though this happened, he still kept love and kindness in his heart with the intent of loving his enemies and changing them with his display of compassion and patience. Instead of using anger to push and fight against people who had hatred in their hearts, he remained patient in his acts of love and peace.