The Making of a Masterpiece: A Digital Twist

The graphic design students at Winslow Township Middle School have been challenged with producing quality artwork while learning remotely and during the transition to hybrid learning. An interview with Ms. Glatz, the graphic design teacher, revealed the inside scoop on this amazing teacher and students who are measuring up to the task. 

SPOTLIGHT ON MS. GLATZ

Inspired by her father, Ms. Glatz started her career by attending college and gaining some experience in the field of design. She attended college for Industrial Design and Graphic Design which led to opportunities as a freelance designer before becoming a teacher. When asked how she came up with the ideas regarding some of her art pieces she says, “Artistically I am inspired by nature and the outdoors. I also love bright, bold colors. I also try to always stay current with new design trends, techniques, and software.” Aside from the amazing artwork produced as a teacher at Winslow Middle, you may have seen her artwork on book covers or even at window displays for Macy’s! 

BEHIND THE SCENES

Students are taught to use some remarkable programs in order to bring their creative ideas to life. Some of the software that designs these pieces consists of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and more recently due to remote learning, Pixlr. Learning the programs and creating these masterpieces can take time. Ms. Glatz points out that, “A large scale illustration might take several weeks, something small like a logo for the school might only take a day or two.” The amount of time and effort that goes into these projects is clear when you see the final products.  

NOTABLE PROJECTS

There are several projects that are noteworthy, but for Ms. Glatz “The Flatback Project” was her favorite for in-person learning. She commented, “for that project students had to design flat pieces to be cut on our Cricut and assembled in three dimensions. I really enjoyed seeing students work through the design process and problem-solve until they could develop pieces that fit together correctly. I am hoping to be able to do that project again next year when we return to full in-person learning.” Ms. Glatz said that she also enjoyed the Martin Luther King project that she taught virtually where students had to illustrate a passage from the “I Have a Dream” speech. It is clear that Ms. Glatz and her students have faced the challenge of remote graphic design projects head-on and with continued passion. We can’t wait to see what they create next!