The Student News Site of Winslow Township Middle School

The Soaring Eagle

The Soaring Eagle

The Soaring Eagle

Polls

What should The Soaring Eagle add to their new site?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Boys and Girls Track Take Home First Place At Penn Relays

Nwancha Ajaegbulemh, Kouture Everett, Amariah Arango, & Adaiah Arango

If you didn’t know, the Penn Relays are the oldest and largest track and field competition in the United States. The relay has been hosted annually by the University of Pennsylvania since April 21, 1895.

On Friday, April 24th, 2024, the Penn Relays took place at Franklin Field, Philadelphia. Early in the morning before school started, the students participating in the relays met at the school and rode the bus to Philadelphia.

For the first time since 2008, both Winslow Middle Schools’ boys and girls relay teams won 1st place for the South Jersey Middle school title.

They put in a lot of effort as Track Coach, Mr. Gregg Martin explains, “In preparation for the relay, I prepare the runners by working on handoff drills, lane placement, and sprint drills to make the passing as fast as possible. The athletes did a great job performing in a big stage atmosphere.”

The track team has a lot in store for next year. 7th grade track runner,  Koutour Everett states, “Next year, there will be many new different people trying to make the relay but I definitely know I’ll make it and when I do, I will try my complete best because it will be my 8th grade year.“

When asked of her experience at the Penn Relays, she mentions, “Personally, I had a lot of fun because even though it was my first time, I got to see my brother run and I have never seen him compete before. There were a lot of fun games and free food.”

“I think we can all collectively agree that we are very proud of the track team,” Mr. Martin assures, “I am extremely proud of our athletes. They work really hard each day at practice and deserve this win!”

This is wonderful news for Winslow! Thanks to their dedication, hard work, and relentless practice, they have managed to win the relays. And hopefully, we can bring victory home next year!