The Student News Site of Winslow Township Middle School

The Soaring Eagle

The Soaring Eagle

The Soaring Eagle

Polls

What should The Soaring Eagle add to their new site?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

WTMS Prepares for Red Ribbon Week

The 2023 Red Ribbon Campaign will be taking place on October 23 – 27. The SADD club, led by Ms. Lawry and Ms. Defrancisco, along with the students and faculty of WTMS will be participating in a number of fun dress up days.

Currently SADD clubs are bringing up new ideas and developing a theme for the 2023 Red Ribbon Week (RRW) and they are expecting for everyone to have a great time and participate.

“The 2023 Red Ribbon Campaign Theme this year is “Be Kind to Your Mind. Live Drug Free.”  Each year a new theme is chosen through a national contest that SADD club chapters can participate in. The contest starts in January and runs through December,” stated Ms. Lawry.

Each year SADD club members bring ideas of a theme for RRW and each day they do activities.

“The club members came up with ideas during our first meeting. Ms. DeFrancisco and I then looked at what the majority liked to decide which we will use for this year. Each day uses word play with the category name to promote being drug free,” explained Ms. Lawry.

This year for RRW, the SADD Club Advisors have some expectations and hopes everyone can have a great time participating for RRW.  To kick off the week, the students and faculty are asked to wear the color red from head to toe in order to get “RED-Y to Say No To Drugs”.  On Tuesday, WTMS will wear their craziest socks to “Sock Out Drugs.”  On Wednesday, get ready to see some blasts from the past because “Drugs are Old News.”  On Thursday, the 7th and 8th graders will participate in a friendly color war competition and “Team Up Against Drugs.”  Finally, on Friday get ready to see some serious twinning going on in order to “Partner Up Against Drugs.” 

“I, well we, really hope everyone gets involved and participates each day. With a little bit of creativity, the students can truly dress up for each day using things they already have at home,  Ms. DeFrancisco remarked.  “It is also a great time to have discussions about staying drug free in the classroom since it is a situation with peer pressure that students will face at some point in their lives,” she added.

Red Ribbon Week is about uniting and standing against drugs due to the violent actions that were caused by drugs. We hope to see everyone participating in Red Ribbon Week this year!