The Student News Site of Winslow Township Middle School

The Soaring Eagle

The Soaring Eagle

The Soaring Eagle

Polls

What should The Soaring Eagle add to their new site?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

SGA Participates in Black History Month Luncheon

Gregory Wake, SGA Tresurer, Speaking at the BHM Luncheon

On February 24th, 2024, The Student Government Association (SGA) and some National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) members volunteered to help out at the Black History Month Luncheon. This event was organized by the Genesis Lodge & Greenland Chapter No 22 Members. The luncheon’s cause was to acknowledge African-American history from the past, present, and future. 

SGA member, Jacob Sor states, “The purpose of the event was to celebrate Black History Month and honor those who had supported in the past and present and those who had helped or were really talented.“

During this event, some members of the NJHS and SGA were to write speeches on an influential African-American and present the speech to the crowd. Other speeches were from elected officials and local Winslow residents. They were about people who have done a lot for Winslow’s community and the people who chose to come to this event. 

Student government advisor, Ms. Parzanese explains, “Speeches were made by elected officials from our Winslow Township Committee as well as other residents of our community.  All speeches went over the accomplishments of African Americans throughout the years. Also, highlighted were the struggles many have faced and overcame throughout history.  Speeches were made by the SGA and NJHS students who picked an influential African American who is encouraging to their lives.”

Moreover, there were posters of inspiring African-Americans glued across the room and interactive trivia games and ticket raffles where you won prizes. People also performed to traditional African-American songs and dances. 

“There was a poster of a jazz singer named Hazel Scott right behind me.  Before then, I hadn’t known who she was.  Also, the performances were really good,” 8th grader Danielle Holmes admires.

As for the rest of the SGA and NJHS members, they had to help set up the hall. As one of the helpers, we had to put catering burners under the food and place forks and knives in a cup.

Jacob agrees, “My role as an SGA member was to help set up the tables, foods, utensils, and clean up.”

As an advisor, Mrs. Parzanese had a different job. She had to help students revise their speeches and meet us at the event.

She responds, “The SGA Advisors assisted with reviewing the students’ speeches prior to the events.  Students met several times to review and rehearse their speech.  On the day of the event, advisors met the students who arrived early to set up the food, set up tables and decorate the hall. After the event was over, we also assisted with clean up. Towards the end of the event, the organizer of the event, Ms. Wilimina had all the young students individually say “I Can Be anyone I Dream to be.”

Like she said, right before the event ended, the students did have to say to the crowd, “I can be anyone I dream to be.” A very inspiring quote.