The Student News Site of Winslow Township Middle School

The Soaring Eagle

The Soaring Eagle

The Soaring Eagle

Polls

What should The Soaring Eagle add to their new site?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Stream or Skip: The Barbie Movie

Are you a fan of pink? Well, the widely known, fun-loving doll, Barbie, has finally made it to the live-action big screen. Directed by Greta Gerwig, Barbie has been a hot topic this recent summer. Released on July 21, 2023, Barbie has made a bombing 1.446 billion USD at box office. To add on, Barbie has several themes and stars many renowned actors such as Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling. So, grab some popcorn and get all cozy, because you’re in for a watch.

You might be wondering, what could the movie possibly be about? Well, unlike many other light-hearted Barbie films, this one focuses on more heavy topics. It starts off with a day in life with your stereotypical Barbie. She has everything she needs in Barbie land, friends, a huge house, great fashion choices etc… So why does she feel something is missing? After experiencing something that has never happened before, Barbie decides to journey into the real world with her counterpart Ken to find what’s wrong. There, Barbie discovers more about herself and her purpose in the world. 

Barbie has many important themes. For one, it heavily reflects on the daily struggles of being a female and the need for equality. Many young girls watching Barbie have been inspired by her. Even when some of us were much smaller playing with little Barbie dolls, we felt inspired. However, don’t think it’s just for the girls because Barbie focuses on why everyone should be treated as equal, learn to accept themselves, and overcome society’s stereotypes. Overall, Barbie has tons of lessons to learn from it. 

To add on, Barbie has many well-known actors and actresses. Starring as Barbie was stunning actress Margot Robbie, who you might know as Harley Quinn. Playing the role of Barbie’s counterpart, Ken, was everyone’s favorite, Ryan Gosling. And other iconic actors like Will Ferrell, America Fererra, and pop star, Dua Lipa. 

Barbie was definitely an interesting watch. Even with stronger topics, I still had a good laugh. I would recommend it to those who love empowering movies–and pink! If you loved this movie just as much as I did, you should check out “Legally Blonde”!